Tuesday, October 17

A new weekly tradition?

While I'm one who hates rosters and routines, I do like traditions - whether they be weekly, monthly, yearly. The last couple of weeks I have found myself catching up with a mate for a movie and a couple of beers. (Tip no. 1 - A beer is cheaper than a coke and popcorn, healthier, more filling for the duration of the movie, and still makes you rush to pee after the movie)

Last night I saw The Departed. Wow what a movie. Scorcese has gathered a top line cast - Matt Damon, Leo Dicaprio, Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, and Jack Nicholson. And this was some of the best acting I have ever seen from some of these. Defintely the best Ive seen from Dicaprio (Of course I haven't thought he has been convincing as an actor since Gilbert Grape). Jack Nicholson was in fine semi-evil form, and Alec Baldwin was great. The set up of the movie was great with a twisted plot where you are never entirely sure about who is good and who is bad. The camera and editing, brilliant, and the soundtrack was really enjoyable.

The movie is set in gritty, irish dominated Boston, and we see the tension of those growing up in the almost-slums of South Bostson, an area shadowed by organised crime. The gangs are simple, loyal, and hard-nosed. The cops are high-tech, dedicated, and honest (?). It keeps you enthralled and thinking throught he whole movie - I kept finding myself secretly cheering for the bad guys. It is pretty visually brutal, and the language is off the scale, so probably not a movie for meek, sheltered Christian types.; but to do this movie justice, I think it needed to be exactly this full on.

Definitely a good way to waste two hours!

2 comments:

General said...

Im all for weekly traditions. I have my Trivia night, Cards with the boys. Regularity without it being routine. Same goes for the yearly traditions - Easter Hike, September fishing, Cup day camping, Christmas Shopping & lights.

Its nice to have stuff like that.


And I'll add the Departed to my must see list. Nice Blog, mate.

Anonymous said...

Finally, a Christian who isn't bashful about supporting quality movies! It's a breath of fresh air to have Christians talking about movies that won't shy away from being presented realistically. I don't like the way that so many young people in church's love a good movie, but when they're confronted about there being some language, or perhaps some violence in it, all of a sudden they become apologetic for enjoying a good story!
Some of my favourite movies are one's that many parents would gasp in horror at letting their 17 year old babies see. Heaven's above! Those people are taking drugs!! When we look at the real issues in movies - rather than than shying away because of a rating or certain scenes in them, we broaden our minds. Movies such as American Beauty, Fight Club and Trainspotting are mind expanding tools that should be utilised, rather than forbidden. If you don't want your kids to see 'inappropriate' things, skip the scene - not the movie.
Keep up the good stuff Lucas

Head Capricorn